Wednesday, January 24, 2018

WOYWW #451

Welcome to WOYWW! What is this? Why, it is the fantabulous blog hop hosted by the lovely Julia at The Stamping Ground where we open our craft room doors to show what our work desks look like on Wednesday.  And to show what fun crafty items everyone is working on. 

I have actually had a lot of time in the craft room this last weekend. Which was good since the week prior’s lesson on Wanderlust was something I really wanted to “get”, and it gave me time to not only do the project in my journal, but I also had the chance to work on actual canvas’s. (Funny how that makes you feel like a “real” artist!)  And while I’ve always had the paints, they were for Gelli plate printing and backgrounds with stencils.  Actually using a brush to create a scene; pretty scary.  And then there was this week; creating Mandala’s.  That is where this has left me:

The gesso and collage medium jars (and scissors) are added weight to the journal to flatten it out while it drys.  There are the circles a bit to the left for the bloom mandala, the Posca white paint pens (Finally---a nice white pen! Got all 3 widths as a set on Amazon!)  A small pot of glitter (!? Yes, I do own some glitter) the collage medium brush from Tim Holtz (cleans nicely---really is a very good brush!)  and then the map cut up pieces for the Compass Rose Manala—and no; I couldn’t bring myself to cut up real maps.  I scanned my old atlas I found in a yard sale to use!  Above that, more scanned pages, then brown packing paper I use to protect other pages in the journal or use when applying glue, then the IPad, for the lessons and music. 

So here are the Mandala’s: the exercise was to let go and Trust the Path.  I have to confess; I love the whole Intuitive, Mindfulness, Zen Being theories.  I wish I could just let go and enter the moment; but Nope.  My brain just won’t shut up, let go, stop working. And doodling; just can’t get it done-hate it. But the top one really needs something more.  And while we’re not to compare to others; my Mandala’s rather suck. 




But, here are the canvas’s I first mentioned.  Again, “Finding the Path” was the theme, so painting while listening to your body.  My body was too worked up about having stones that didn’t look like flat rectangles.  The first piece was following the instructor literally step by step.  The second was after I had watched the last 3 episodes of Outlander; when I got upstairs I was determined go my own way and not follow the videos. I put my playlist on: Loreena McKennit came up first, and this is what happened.  I wasn’t more purple-ly mistiness; but haven’t figured out how to do that yet. 




Whew! That was quite a post.  For some reason I got to work really early, no one has come in yet and the office is nice and quiet.  And I’m trying the new Blonde Espresso Vanilla Latte from Starbuck’s.  Tasty! All lends to blog chattiness. 


So, there you have it. Now jump back to Julia’s and see some more creative spaces.  Stay Crafty, my Friends.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, love what you've done! We're always our own worst critic, aren't we? The bottom painting really speaks to me. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #8 XxX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Afternoon Kim. For me it's the first mandala - love the mix of creation and music - a bit reminiscent of C. S. Lewis "The Magician's nephew".
    Well done for going for it!
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the one with the butterfly best and the last photo the path leading into the distance. Anickoana#3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mandalas and really enjoyed that lesson. Not that I've done it yet! thanks for the visit. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I sounds like kindred spirits! I can't bear zentangling and doing things 'mindfully' - it makes me all cross. Don't know why, it just does. So do what you like doing. It's all about instant gratification for me, I don't do fiddly or time consuming!
    Hugs LLJ 13 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The canvases are beautiful,especially the purple one. Maybe you could mute the background from the first mandala a bit and see if you like it more. I know what you say about the intuitive painting,it sounds so simple, but in fact is very hard. Happy WOYWW,Vicky#9

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you've been busy having fun this week, great results. Happy belated woyww, Angela x17x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Kim, you're certainly further along with Wanderlust than me. I've so far only completed lesson 1 and 3a), although I intend to get round to the map mandala at some point next week (and hopefully lesson 4 too once I've seen it). How funny that both our desks have Wanderlust projects on them. I love your interpretations. Have a good week. Sarah #18

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments mean alot to me!