Monday, May 18, 2015

CCC#3 # 28: Alcohol Ink Ombre, Pg. 57

Welcome to another installment of the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge, Vol. 3, hosted by Linda at Studio L3.  This is the Twenty-Eighth challenge in where we work through the techniques of Tim Holtz from, you guessed it…his 3rd Volume of the Compendium of Curiosities!!  As in the past challenges, we can’t give details on the challenge, so don’t ask, but do go get your own copy of Tim’s fabulous book.  Also, TheFunky Junkie Boutique has offered an extremely generous $25 Gift Certificate for all the even numbered weeks! So grab a copy, and join in to play!!  All the 
deets are Here on Linda's Blog!

I confess; I thought this challenge would be a breeze…and a perfect technique for a card for my Mother in Law.  And while the steps outlined in Tim’s wonderful Compendium are pretty straightforward, I realize my collection of alcohol inks is sorely lacking.  I started my collection “back in the day…” before they had lights and brights, and you needed a Krylon pen to “marbleize”…actually, I still prefer the pen sometimes to the mixatives…and have only added a few new ones—mostly the lights— over the years.

So coming up with my colors was pretty limited.  I ended up using Lemonade, Peach Bellini and Butterscotch.  My first attempt came out beautifully…no really!  I then stamped the tulip from Penny Black, and I knew I wanted to add color. So I heat set the Archival ink…just for safety..then used the alcohol ink blending pen to start coloring using Meadow AI..  Yup, you guessed it…it totally smudged the black ink…quite the mess!

So, take two.  This time I used colored pencils to color the tulip. (Still smudged a bit on the leaf)  Not as bright as I was hoping, but still it stands out. The Ombre effect wasn’t nearly as smooth; I probably didn’t take enough time with it…and I didn’t take a picture of the first one. 

Now that I’ve seen the new color palettes (Honey comb??? Yeah!)...you guessed it; I’ll be on the lookout for more of these beautiful inks…and I’ll start using them more often, because I really do love them!

Now go visit the wonderful Curiosity Crew’s work to see how they showcased the Ombre Effect! Have a great week everyone.

7 comments:

  1. Really lovely. Love your colors... and your ombre effect. Looks perfect to me! j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely. Love your colors... and your ombre effect. Looks perfect to me! j.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've all been there with our craft mishaps. Glad you persevered because your card turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim. Your card is so pretty! Your alcohol ink ombre background really is a pretty one and looks fantastic with the black stamping and the black matting on the cardstock front. Glad you pulled this off! It's awesome! Thanks for sharing with us at CC3C. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never have enough Alcohol Inks! lol! LOVE the images over the background! Great card! Thanks so much for going ombre with us at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great job with the ombre technique! It really turned out so well! Thanks for joining us for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, Kim! The ombre tech provided a really rich background for your main image. Simple and elegant. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments mean alot to me!